A regular visitor to your pharmacy asks to talk to you about a rash on his face. It has been present for many years, but he wants to try and improve his appearance as his granddaughter is due to be Christened, and the family have hired a professional photographer for the event.
1. This condition only occurs on the face of adults and is never seen in childen. True or false?
2. Moderate strength steroids are the treatment of choice in this condition. True or false?
3. The condition tends to be associated with outdoor life, sun and exposure cold weather. True or false?
4. The condition is usually easily reversible once the cause has been found. True or false?
5. When occurring is a very localised area, this rash may be a sign of underlying malignancy. True or false?
1. False. Although this condition is most common on the face, it can occur anywhere on the body and at any age.
2. False. This condition is called telangiectasia, which can be caused by strong topical steroids.
3. True. It is more common in those who work outside, such as farmers.
4. False. The condition is not usually reversible, and usually requires physical therapy such as cautery or laser treatment.
5. True. Nodular basal cell carcinomas offer develop telangiectasia on the surface.